Your child’s father is a great provider and is living up to his responsibilities by providing a shelter, food, education and money for your child. However, you are somewhat concerned and want to know, “ Why establish paternity if Dad already cares for child in Orange County ? “
The question is valid and you may be wondering why should I rock the boat if everything is great at the moment.
However, as a family law specialist my job is to educate my clients by helping them to see the entire picture. Therefore, below are a few questions and concerns you should ask yourself. Perhaps you never had the chance to ponder the questions.
Does Father still need to establish paternity if Father is already caring for the child?
• What happens if the father passes, who will provide for your child?
• Will your child inherit a portion of his fathers estate?
• What legal right’s does your child have if you never preserved his or her rights.
• Will your child have an identity issue once he or she gets access to their birth certificate?
• Will your child have sufficient medical and life insurance from his or her parents?
• Will your child need the social security benefits from father?
• If father is an United States veteran, there are benefits he or she will miss out on.
In conclusion, paternity should be determined for the best interest of your child. I understand, everyone has a unique reason why they may feel the status quo should remain. Nevertheless, if you have doubts, it is time you consult an expert in order to explore you situation and weigh the pros and cons.